Writing Press Releases for Marketing and SEO
Digital Papercuts: Orange County Digital Marketing Agency
Press releases may seem old fashioned. But they still have a place in this world and they serve a dual purpose. One is to ty and actually get publicity and traffic to your site and the other is to give your website more creadbility and domain authority in the eyes of search engines.
Purpose of a press release in digital marketing:
Press releases are not feature stories. They are not informal sales pitches. They are brief formal, official sounding announcements regarding something new or significant about your business, product or service. They should be used to promote your business and hopefully, improve your SEO ranking.
Digital marketers are always on the lookout for different promotional channels that are unique and are yet to be saturated with the unfortunate stigma of marketing abuse. Different people are constantly trying to find new ways by which they could promote their businesses online.
One of the better and most effective marketing strategies are in the use of press releases. Press releases are objective and informative stories which are supposed to be newsworthy, and are circulated in various PR newswires for pickup by various news groups and editors. Once a press release is picked up, it can be published in various channels all over the Internet, or even through print publications and broadcast on radio and television.
You cannot simply write a press release the same way you would an blog article, or a content piece, or a sales letter. To employ the same style with press releases would be disaster. Your press release won’t be accepted by newswires if it sales like a sales pitch and therefore won’t get published.
So how exactly should you write a press release?
- Pay attention to the 5 W’s. These are Who, What, When, Where and Why. These are the questions which your press release should focus on. If you are going to write a press release for your clothing store business, for example, you should be able to state who you are, what your business is about, when it will, or was, launched, where it can be found and why it was established. If you are going to launch, or just launched, a new product or service, you would have to state who designed it, what the product is about, when it was or will be launched, where it can be bought, and why it was introduced to the market. An example of this is here:
- Be objective. Remember, a press release should be a newsworthy item. News is never subjective. Stay away from words that merely tend to hype up what you want to discuss. Stick with the facts, and like Joe Friday said just the facts. You are writing news, not a promotional piece.
- The aim is to promote your product or service, but you need to be subtle about it. To do this, change your focus. Try to make your press release informative instead of persuasive. Remember, you are not writing a sales copy. You are writing something that would announce your business, service or your product.
- Answer why anyone should care. Or, why is this news? The first line of the release should answer concisely the who, what, why, where, when and how.
- There are three parts to a press release: the headline, the summary, and the body. The headline is the title of your piece. The summary is a paragraph that would serve as an introduction to your press release, or a summary of its most salient contents. The body is where you objectively discuss the 5 Ws.
- The press release length is a factor. Don’t ever think that if you write a longer press release, it would have a better chance of getting picked up. Often, the rule is, the more concise your press release, the better its chances are of success. A 1,000 word piece is considered a little too lengthy for a press release. 300 to 700 words are enough for this purpose.
- What’s your pitch about? Get to the point. Say it. Avoid “echo headlines” where your Headline, sub-headline and first sentence say the same thing. Do you like excessive repeating? Probably not. Do you like excessive repeating?
Press releases can win for your business the exposure it needs. It is capable of near instant results for as long your press release gets picked up and published. A lot of Digital marketers have testified to the power of press releases as marketing tools. So put on your thinking cap and commence to write an objective and informative piece about your business or product, observe the guidelines we have delineated above, and ready yourself for the new audience you?re most certain to garner.
Orange County Digital Marketing Agency
Marketing Agency Orange County
5904 Warner Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Phone (800) 451-7085