Simple SEO – Easy Things You Can Do To Boost Your Rankings
When you think about Digital Marketing, what do you think of first? What parts of Digital Marketing are important, which are essential, and which ones can you take or leave? You be the judge.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is probably one of the most time consuming, complicated areas of marketing your business. Often advice literally years out of date is still treated as gospel with poor results.
But let’s cut to the chase for just a moment and show you 6 easy techniques you can apply today to start getting impressive results like the professionals do.
Bear in mind that this definitely isn’t all there is no know on the topic (it just scratches the surface) but it provide you with a good start and put you way ahead of 99% of your competitors if you apply just these few concepts to your website.
1) Pick Your Fights
While some keywords have tens of millions of competitors (and searches) every day, others have very few competitors but also very few potential visitors. These are generally long tail keywords.
You want traffic but you also don’t want to have to compete with the real large companies out there or you’re going to get slaughtered.
So SEO it’s a balancing act.
I would suggest if you’re new to SEO that you look for primary keywords with no more than 50,000 competitors and ideally over 200 searches a month.
Once you find a primary keyword you’re happy with dig down further and find other secondary keywords.
So if your primary keyword you opt for is “cheap surfboards” then your secondary keywords may be “buy cheap surfboards”, “best cheap surfboards” and so on.
All your secondary keywords should ideally contain your primary keyword plus one or more additional words that your target audience search for.
You will write at least SEO friendly one article focusing on each of these keyword phrases and link them altogether to create your site.
This ensures that your site is keyword focused, linked correctly and is built around keyword phrases that your target audience are looking for and that you should be able to obtain decent listings for.
2) Choose Your Website Address
Your website address should ideally contain your primary keyword phrase. So in our example above using “cheap surfboards” then possible domains, if available, could be Cheapsurfboards.com, Cheap-surfboads.com, CheapSurfboardsinHuntingtonBeach.com and so on.
Don’t worry about using hyphens but try not to make your domain too long like that last one above or it will look “spammy” to the search engines and potential visitors and ensure your domain ends with .com ideally, or if not .net.
No other domain name options should be considered.
This domain name you choose is vital because it not only gives you a boost by having your primary keyword in it, but also means that when people link to you they will be virtually forced to include your keywords in their link which, as we’ll see, is another important factor in your ranking.
3) Keep Your Keyword Density Up
Of less importance these days than it once was is the keyword density of the articles on your site. I wouldn’t fret about looking for exact figures as some poorly informed marketers do, just try to include your keywords from time to time.
So an article about buying cheap surfboardss would include the phrase “buying cheap surfboardss” several times. Also consider, if it reads correctly, splitting up your phrases into their individual words and using these in your articles too. So in our example use the words “buying”, “cheap” and “surfboards” a few times in your article, not necessarily next to each other. These are called related keywords.
4) Structure Your Pages Correctly
For each of your keyword-focused articles ensure the relevant keywords for that article are present in the page title and in your meta tags.
5) Watch Your Internal Linking
Try to avoid links in your site navigation that say generic things like “click here” and “articles” and so on.
Keep them specific and unique and include your keywords. So you wrote an article about “buying cheap surfboards”? Then the link to it could read something like “Read our guide to buying cheap surfboards”.
It helps to keep your site unique, focuses the search engines on what your article is about and notice how you’ve managed to include your primary keyword phrase “cheap surfboardss”?
A number of links like these down the side of your page will greatly increase the keyword density of your pages.
Oh, and please use text links, not image links. Although Geotagged photos with keywords in the ALT tag can help with local search results.
6) Generate Keyword Dense Incoming Links
Once you’re all set up with the above tactics simply aim to generate a number of links from related, popular sites through the use of article submissions, press releases, link exchanges and so on. These are called backlinks.
Ensure they include your primary keyword phrase but don’t overdo it.
Just mention your primary keyword once in each of the links pointing to your site.
These links will drive traffic to your site, increase your rankings and allow the search engines to find you so you don’t need to submit your site to them.
Methods to increase customer value:
1. Sell more related “customers also bought” back end products to your existing customer base. You already created rapport, trust and proved your credibility to them.
2. Make it a practice to upsell to new and existing customers. After they decide to buy one product, offer them another product.
3. Cross promote your products and services with other businesses that aren’t competition. You will reach a wider audience at less cost. One way to do this is through banner ad sharing.
4. Start an affiliate program for your business. You will be able to spend less profits on risk advertising and spend more money on guaranteed sales. I trust that what you’ve read so far has been informative. The following section should go a long way toward clearing up any uncertainty that may remain.
5. Create joint venture deals with other businesses. You can expand your product line and target other profitable markets at a lower cost.
6. Trade advertising with other businesses to save revenue. You could trade e-zine ads, banners ads, links, etc.
7. Out source part of your workload. This can save on employee costs, equipment costs, taxation costs, expansion costs, etc.
8. Use viral marketing to promote your business on the internet. Giving away free stuff is always a good way to do this.
9. Add low cost bonuses to your offer that have a high perceived value. It could be digital e-books or pdf reports, members only sites, consulting, e-reports, etc.
10. Follow up with all your prospects. You can use a free e-zine, use an autoresponder, an update or reminder list, etc.
11. Build rapport. It may have been some time since you last talked with your contact, so a little refreshing of his or her memory might be necessary. Use the time to reestablish your relationship, inform him or her about your unique selling proposition and inquire about their current needs.
12. Ask for referrals: Here is an example of how a surfboard store could ask for referrals: Do you know anyone who may be buying a new surfboad in the next few months? Offer them free surfboard wax if anyone comes in and buys a new board.
And that’s all you need to know to begin with. Good luck!
Orange County Digital Marketing Agency
5904 Warner Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Phone (800) 451-7085